Thursday, March 19, 2020

Thought for Today



"Self-discipline is
when your conscience tells you to do something 
and you don’t talk back."
-W.K. Hope

Today, for me, that means adding a new post to my blog.

A week or so ago, as people began to get concerned about the Coronavirus, before we were advised not to go into stores, I was at the pharmacy picking up my prescription.  An older couple were at the counter talking to the pharmacist who seemed to be having trouble with the computer.  It was taking forever.  The line was growing behind us.  

Most people were patient, resigned to the fact that long lines were inevitable given the situation.  They stood there looking around – at the ceiling, at the floor or studying items on the shelves or in their carts.  They maintained “social distance”, and for the most part they also avoided direct eye contact, as we so often do with a group of strangers.  

At the counter the pharmacist was still busy talking to the man while his wife stood patiently next to him.  She was slightly hunched over, seemingly sad, perhaps in pain, obviously tired and concerned.  You could see the strain on her face – muscles tight, eyes hollow, brow furred.  She looked down at the long line apologetically. Embarrassment seemed to add to her discomfort.  

I wished I could go up to her and say “it’s OK.  Don’t worry.  We understand.”  But I couldn’t do that.  “Social distancing” and respect for their privacy kept us apart.  All I could do was smile at her. 

Then I saw an amazing result of that simple smile.   

Her posture relaxed and tension visibly began to drain from her face.  While tiredness and pain were still obvious, she seemed lighter.   An expression of gratefulness came into those hollow eyes – and she smiled back at me.

That stranger in the store looked at me as if I had given her a great gift.  I felt she had given a gift to me!

I will always remember that her face and that moment – a reminder of how we touch each other’s lives in so many little ways – and how important it is to make all of our interactions positive!

No comments:

Post a Comment