Wednesday, February 26, 2020

Thoughts for The Season of Lent

I grew up with all the Catholic traditions -- including receiving the ashes on Ash Wednesday, fasting and "giving up" a favorite food or pleasure for lent.  However, after going through 5 years of cancer and the death of my first husband, I could not do the ashes.  I didn't need to be reminded of "dust thou art to dust thou shall return", and I felt that I had done enough "giving up" for a lifetime.

Now, living in a wonderful second marriage and comfortable life, I have no excuses.  And I have a much more mature understanding of the reasons for the traditional Catholic "rules" of lent.  They are an exercise in self-discipline and reminders of the real meaning of life.

So today I share with you some guidelines for fasting during lent in the words of Pope Francis:

  • Fast from hurting words - say kind words
  • Fast from anger - be filled with patience
  • Fast from pessimism - be filled with hope
  • Fast from complaints - contemplate simplicity
  • Fast from bitterness - fill your hearts with joy
  • Fast from selfishness - be compassionate to others
  • Fast from grudges - be reconciled
  • Fast from words - and listen



No comments:

Post a Comment