Friday, December 11, 2020

Advent Thoughts Continued

  

Advent rushes along.  Christmas comes closer.  We bought our tree from the volunteer fire department.  I work on a family calendar to send as a Christmas present to our children.  But it doesn’t “feel” like Christmas.  

 

Maybe it’s because the weather is so mild – having spent most of my life with New York or mid-west Christmases.  Or maybe it’s because my head is not filled with Christmas music this year.

 

Even before Thanksgiving, stores and malls are usually bustling with Christmas shoppers and Christmas music.  But this year we are not going into stores or to the mall or inside restaurants.  We are not going to Christmas concerts, Christmas caroling.  So this morning I put a Christmas album on my old fashioned stereo and sit outside on my porch, in the sun. 

 

In this peaceful moment, feeling the warmth of the sun on my face, listening to flocks of geese flying overhead, I think about the second candle of the advent wreath – symbolizing peace.

 

There may never be peace in the world, but I think that true peace can only come from within. I believe that peace comes from accepting who we are, and where we are, acknowledging that we are not perfect, but confident that we are using our talents and abilities as best we can to reach out and touch those around us with love.  

 

So I reach out to all of you, especially to those celebrating Chanukah today, and pray that peace will be in your lives. 

No comments:

Post a Comment