Wednesday, July 25, 2018

What One Person Can Do

No one of us – no group nor organization nor country even, can “save” the world.  But if we go beyond our frustration and our anger, if we take positive action in our own lives, we can help to change the world in many positive ways.

I can’t create jobs but I can help my neighbor with a resume as he looks for work.

I can’t educate all of the children in the world but I can help a teacher in the classroom so she can do her job more effectively.

I can’t help all of the children who are suffering but I can rock a baby in the hospital when the can’t be there.

I can’t solve the problems of divorce and torn families but I can sit and listen to a friend as she talks out her situation, trying find a resolution.

I can teach my children the importance of caring about, learning about and being involved with the world.

I can teach them, by words and example, to take every opportunity for positive action.

I can work at my craft of writing and share positive thoughts and ideas with those who are interested.

And I can pray!

And so in my prayer today, I remember one of [my late husband] Pat’s favorite quotes from the early American patriot Edward Everett Hale: 


“I am only one … but I am one.  I cannot do everything, but I can still do something.   And what I can do I must do.   And what I must do, by the grace of God, I will do!”

No comments:

Post a Comment